Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Belize it or Not!



What I'm listening to right now: "Box of Rain" (Grateful Dead)

Here's a pic of me (I'm in the doorway, on the right) and my students in front of the house we built in Belize City! We spent 10 days (June 6-16) building a house for Erna, a 33-year-old mother of 7.

A sampling of memories, too countless to recall:
-fabulous breakfasts of fryjacks, tortillas, beans, and pineapple on the terrace
-visiting the children at Lucky Strike School (yes, named after the cigarettes...)
-evening reflection under the stars
-doing the punta with the Garifuna Dancers
-stew chicken with rice & beans
-playing with Erna's beautiful baby girl, Ashira
-singing "Lord of the Dance" at St. Martin's Parish
-snorkeling in the Caribbean (and swimming with sharks and stingrays!)
-blessing Erna's house (with Mark on the bongos and Abel on the guitar)

This photo was taken after the last event. In the sweltering heat, we gathered in Erna's new home, sang songs, listened to readings, and presented her with her very own keys. Afterwards, we spilled out into the front yard and kept singing--everything from Bob Marley to Lone Star.

Traveling changes you, irrevocably. Compound that with service, and you're permanently marked. As the JVC slogan goes, "ruined for life." Even though I'm back in my air-conditioned living room, settling into the lazy routine of summer (yoga, writing, walking Rocco, catching up on T.V.), I can't stop thinking about the incredible people I met in Belize, the sounds, the smells, the FOOD, the spirit.

This whole trip was affirming in so many ways. The students kept asking me why I did JVC (Jesuit Volunteer Corps), and although I've given various answers over the years, I think I finally got it. Yes, I wanted to help people. Yes, I wanted to be praised for something other than theater. But quite simply, I wanted to meet new people, to be associated with a certain type of person--altruistic, grounded, REAL. And nothing but good has come of that.

Sure, my life has taken a detour. I always had a vague vision of moving back to Philly, joining some theater company (perhaps even starting my own), and becoming some sort of local stage celebrity who had dabbled in doing good for a year. But when I think of the numerous blessings I've enjoyed because I stayed up here...I can't imagine my life any other way. And this trip to Belize was yet another wonderful affirmation of that.

No comments: