Thursday, June 22, 2006

Suddenly, it's summer...

What I'm listening to right now: "Pick Yer Nose" (Ani DiFranco)

And to celebrate, my darling Nicky (thank you, Prince) and I packed up Rocco, camping chairs, a bottle of wine and headed to Hoboken's "Movies Under The Stars." Every Wednesday in summer, they show a movie in Frank Sinatra Park, overlooking the Manhattan skyline. Fantastic way to ring in summer (and a little less crowded than the movies in Bryant Park).

Okay, can I tell you how much I love Pandora? The new music site, not the myth (although it is a great story--be it Pandora or Eve, gotta love that the evils of the world are all blamed on a woman!) Anyway, with pandora.com, you just type in a band or song that you like, and they'll customize a radio station for you. And it's FREE! As much as I love my ipod, I do get sick of listening to "my" music all the time. (Yes, I know I sound like a commercial--I tend to appoint myself unofficial spokeswoman when I get excited about a product.)

My big plan for the day is to watch "Twelfth Night" (the '96 version, with Helena Bonham Carter). I'm 99% sure that's going to be our fall play, so I want to start preparing for our production meeting in July. I was toying with the idea of setting it in a modern-day high school, but I'm always wary of being too "gimmicky" with Shakespeare. If there's a rhyme and reason for a specific design concept, great, but if you're doing it just to be "conceptual," it can be wacky-tacky. I was in a production of "Joseph" once, set in modern-day Philly. As you can imagine...it didn't quite work. In fact, it was pretty craptastic. :p

So we shall see. As I'm reading the script, the idea of a college campus in the 1920s keeps coming to mind--sort of during a reunion weekend, with Sirs Toby and Andrew as rich old college alums. Then there's the whole question of the shipwreck...I might bite the bullet and rent that stupid Amanda Bynes movie "She's the Man" just to see how they approached it.

But I might feel dirty afterwards.

No comments: